Personal Injury

personal_injury_bannerHave you been involved in an accident? If so, we can provide you with the legal services and support you need.

Our dedicated team will give you first-class legal advice, tailored to your specific needs and aimed at maximising your compensation. We can arrange rehabilitation treatment for you, as well as vehicle storage, repair and hire if you were involved in a road-traffic accident. Whatever your needs, we can help.

We specialise in the following:

Why make a Personal Injury claim with Mergul Law?

  • We offer advice over the phone and by email every step of the way.
  • We will fight to ensure you get the maximum amount of compensation.
  • Because we care about your experience with us, we will strive to make sure you receive the best-client service possible.
  • We offer our services in many languages, including Talysh, Azeri, Russian, Persian, Urdu and Turkish.

Don’t delay your decision to make a claim

With personal-injury claims, there is a strict 3 year time limit from the date of the accident to bring a claim. So it is essential you make your claim as soon as possible.

Personal Injury specialists

  • Rauf Khalilov
  • Selda Altun
  • Annie Jahangir
  • James Tierney

FAQs section

Q: What is No-Win No Fee?
A: ‘No win, no fee’ is a term used to describe an agreement between lawyer and client, whereby legal fees only become payable in certain circumstances. If your claim for personal-injury compensation is unsuccessful, you will not pay us anything. If, on the other hand, you win your case, you may have to pay us a percentage of your compensation (see below).
Many types of claim can be dealt with on a ‘no, win no fee’ basis, including:

  • Accidents at work
  • Car accidents
  • Clinical/medical negligence
  • Motorbike accidents
  • Slips, trips and falls
Q: Will I have to pay anything out of my own pocket to bring a claim?
A: No.
Q: Will you take any of my compensation?
A: This will depend on the duration and complexity of the claim, and whether you have an existing insurance policy covering your legal costs.

If you do have such insurance (e.g. through your home-contents insurance or motor insurance), we will not take any of your compensation, regardless of the complexity and length of the claim.

If you do not have such insurance, we may take up to 25%.

Q: Can I claim for an injury at work?
A: Yes. But, before doing so, you should inform your employer of your injury and seek medical attention. You should also ask your employer to enter the accident details into their accident-record book and, if possible, you should get a copy of the entry.
Q: I was hit by an uninsured driver?
A: The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) funds all of the motor-insurance companies in the UK. So, if an uninsured or untraceable driver has injured you, we can probably claim compensation for you from the MIB.
Q: Is Mergul Law a Claims Management Company?
A: No. We are a firm of fully qualified solicitors who are regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
Q: How long will it take for me to get my compensation?
A: This is a difficult question to answer. If you are involved in a standard road-traffic accident where the third party admits fault, then your claim could be concluded in just over a month. But usually the process is longer. How much longer will be contingent on a number of factors, including the complexity of the claim and whether the third party admits fault or not.

But once your claim has been settled (i.e. the third party has accepted he or she was at fault and we have agreed the amount of compensation you should get), you should get your settlement cheque within 21 days.

Q: What if I sustained my injury a while ago?
A: You have up to 3 years from the date of the accident to bring a claim for personal injury.
Q: What if I have not been injured but my vehicle has been damaged – can I still make a claim?
A: Yes. You have up to 6 years from the date of the accident to make a claim for vehicle damage.
Q: Do I have to attend your offices?
A: No. We will deal with your claim electronically (via telephone, email and video conferences). But, of course, if you wish to see your file handler in person, you are welcome to come to our offices. The address can be found on our ‘Home page’ and ‘Contact Us’ page.
Q: Can I transfer my claim to you from my current solicitor?
A: Yes. We will just need your written consent to transfer your file of papers to us.
Q: Who will handle my claim?
A: Your claim will be handled by a qualified solicitor specialising in personal injury.
Q: How can you help me with rehabilitation and medical care?
A: Treatments such as physiotherapy and medical care, as well as many other things, can be arranged for you throughout your case. Call us now for details.